Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Peanuts Parade

“There's no use going to school unless your final destination is the library.”
― Ray Bradbury


Beginning in the mid-70s and onwards for ten years, a wonderful thing happened: Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus and their neighborhood chums were featured in a lovely series of 7x10 paper backs called Peanuts Parade. These books were gems, not simply for the humorous and philosophical contents inside but also the eye candy on the book jacket. Each cover displayed a catchy title and featured characters from Charles M. Schulz's popular comic. It was fitting that the book covers featured the colors of rubies, sapphires and emeralds (among others) for these were treasures to behold. A quick trip to our grade school library on a Friday afternoon, ensured that a week of hardship wouldn't be for naught. These riches would come home with us. After all, weekends were for reading and spending time with good friends.


Note: The Peanuts Parade books shown above are not listed in any particular order. Click here for more info on the series. Also, the image for book #29 entitled "The Way of the Fussbudget is Not Easy" is not the original book cover—as I have not been able to track it down.

5 comments:

  1. I loved these! I had several Peanuts paperbacks and my mother said they helped me to read by the time I entered kindergarten. Thanks for sharing and bringing back memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet memory, thanks for sharing. :) The Peanuts gang were great teachers. They helped me to read too and encouraged a bit of doodling. I used to practice raw replicas of Charlie Brown and Snoopy. I could never quite get the hang of Linus though. Thanks so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. I was like this when it came to the Garfield comic collection books. I even have a few calendars , a few TV specials in book form and a How to party spoof book. But I suppose you could follow the recommendations for a crazy Garfield style party.

    I had at least one Peanuts story book with record. Of was that two. Can't remember exactly. The one I do remember was the story was based on baseball. Poor Charlie at the end of the story looses and Lucy kind of takes it out on him as usual. I know a neighborhood boy across the street really enjoyed the story. I on the other hand was more fascinated with the illustrations. Pretty typical. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Tina, you were an artist from the start. It doesn't surprise me that you were more taken with the illustrations. Your illustrations by the way are wonderful! I have a book called "Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz" and it's a real treat. There are even scans of sketches from his army days.

      I loved Garfield too. :)

      Delete
  3. I don't believe I've ever seen Peanuts Parade books. I did collect the small paperbacks that collected the strips. Every time my mom took me to our local department store called Venture, I would buy either a Peanuts or a Family Circus paperback. I still have them and my kids read them. It's amazing how many there are. To this day, I still find ones I've never seen before at garage sales. I always pick them up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "I Miss My Childhood". Join in the fun and leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails